Skip to main content

Isaya and His Desire to be a Doctor



This is Isaya (in America we would say Isaiah). He is 20 years old,  the son of Fred Bwile, a graduate of the Andrew Connally School of Preaching and he wants to become a doctor. He is an active member of the congregation that his father preaches for, often times teaching bible study. His family lives in Kenya where there are only 0.2 physicians per 1,000 people (2011-2015) compared to the 2.5 in America (2011).

Teaching bible study.
Mr. Fred contacted me a few days ago, saying that Isaya had completed his secondary education (high school) but that they didn't have the funds to send him to college. He said it would cost $240 per year. Correction: I was informed today that that number is not correct. It will actually cost $2,400 per year. I told him I would try and raise what I could. but that that was a lot more money than we both had originally thought. I know the Lord will provide if it is His will. 

That's almost 4x less than what it costs to go to college here in the states ($9,410 per year for state residents at public colleges). I'm a firm believer in education and that is why I'm writing this piece.  If I can raise the money, he will start medical school in September. If I could just get 240 people to give $10, we'd have it! Let's help this young Christian man so that he can doctor both the flesh and the spirit.

The Sunset Church of Christ in Bowie, Tx sponsors Mr. Fred and has graciously agreed to receive  the money and take it with them when they leave for Kenya the week of the 19th. That means that if you wish to contribute, it really needs to be sent either this weekend or Monday. I have however been told that as long as I know the money is being sent, the Sunset congregation will fill the gap of what has not arrived in the mail yet. If you would like to send a check you can make it out to the Sunset Church of Christ and send it to:
David Hall
706 Lee St.
Bowie, Tx  76230

If you plan to send money, please let me know the amount so that I can keep track of how much is raised. God bless you all and thank you!

His family. 
An update and recap : I am on top of the world! Over the last week, $200 was raised for Isaya, the young man in Kenya who wishes to be a doctor. I can't thank those that gave enough! Earlier today, while Adam and I were out in town, I received a call from David Hall. The preacher and an elder at the Sunset congregation, he will be traveling to Kenya with several others to work with Isaya's father Fred Bwile and as they had agreed to take whatever money was raised with them. Well, in light of the fact that I hadn't had a whole lot of time to raise the funds, they decided to donate the remaining amount ($2,200) even though they are a small congregation and support Fred on a monthly basis. I am so happy that this young man is going to get to start school. Adam and I are going to start trying in the next few months to see that his next year of schooling is paid as well. We'll have a good year to get it together! If any of you are interested in helping with that, let me know. Kenya needs more doctors and what's better than a doctor that can help heal the physical and spiritual?

Isaya is finishing up his first year! Take a look here to find out more. God bless!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well folks, it's been a while since I've written and for that I apologize. I just didn't feel like I had much to say in the progress of the library ( or my life for that matter- we traveled here, we traveled there), but now I clearly have enough. :) Since GBN I have tried to contact several people in  many congregations, attempting to get either one-time funds or monthly support.  I've gotten some  no's and have yet to receive any donations. But I've been told that you have to get a certain number of "no's" before you can get any "yes's".  I just spent the last  week in Montgomery. Dad was recording a class that he's teaching at Faulkner ( he's not going to be able to be there for all the semester). Me and David tagged along, hoping to get a few things done. Todd had agreed to give me some driving lessons and Robert Waggoner had told me to stop by when I got the chance and go through some books of his to see if I w

Success!

                                                                                                   Deuteronomy 15:11- For there will never cease to be poor in the land. Therefore I command you "You shall open wide your hand to your brother, to the needy and to the poor, in your land" The night before the giveaway, several members helped us get everything in order. The foyer furniture was moved to make room for the racks of clothing. Tables were set up for odds and ends like belts and gloves and for the peanut butter and jelly. We had about 20 members sign up to be there the day of the giveaway; We arrived at the church building 30 minutes before starting time, cause you know, there's always last minute things that need taken care of. Two large signs that said " FREE CLOTHES" were put out by the near-by highway and "Exit" and "Enter" signs were put out in the parking lot. 9:00am came and we had people coming through the door! I don't

Bibles to New Converts in Uganda!

To all my few but faithful readers, I hope you all have had a fine Sunday! It has been a good one here at Coventry Hills. Around the time we were finishing up gathering Isaya Bwile's needed school funds, Richard Olwenyi (a old school classmate of mine from the Andrew Connally School of Preaching) asked if we might help him out in procuring funds for bibles for the new converts in his area. He preaches for a small but growing congregation.  You know me, I'm all about books and education, so I said we'd see what we could do. The Lord blessed our efforts! Enough money was raised to buy 105 bibles! I thought that number would be 107, but Richard had to use a little bit of the money in order to travel some 4 hours there and back to buy them. You know how you stress out about doing something you've never done before and you realize, "Boy, that was easy. Why in the world did I spend so much time worrying." That's what I did when it came to sending the mon